Friday, August 24, 2007

Flashback Friday (Todd Sauce)


Portrait of Todd by Mike- circa '99.

The way I remember it, Mike, Chuck, Dave Johnson and myself were flying up to a con in Chicago when for reasons beyond our comprehension, we had an unscheduled landing in Indianapolis (I think we later found out there was snow coming down in Chicago and a huge holding pattern and we didn't want to run out of fuel.) We sat on the tarmac in Indy for well over an hour, not allowed to exit the plane, knowing that we were going to be late for the opening of the show. I started sketching in my sketchbook while waiting (planes are great places to sketch btw) and Mike and I started joking about how Todd was already there at the show, waiting for us to show, bored out of his skull. Because, you know, there was no way Todd could be enjoying himself without us there... :)

Now, I believe this was just after Tellos first shipped, and I think maybe Mike had a bunch of copies he was bringing along to sell, (Todd- help me here...) which would explain why there aren't any copies of the book sitting there in the drawing. Anyway, Mike bummed my sketchbook, and while sitting there in the back of the plane, whipped this drawing up, complete with Todd's little buddies waiting for him at home. Mike even captured the way Todd drew his pets himself (not many know that Todd is a talented artist in his own right).

The explanation of the Todd Sauce is harder to explain. Somewhere along the line Mike and I started this stupid bit when Todd called that went something like "Still talking 'bout the Todd Sauce..." I don't know how we started that one, but like so many ridiculous expressions, Mike and I ran it into the ground. So, when Mike drew the drool in this pic, naturally it got the Todd Sauce label.

Todd's memory of this might be a tad different than mine...

The one other memorable part of this trip (I think it was the same trip) was that we met Sonny Shroyer, who played Enos on the Dukes of Hazzard show, in the back of the shuttle bus on the way back to the airport after the show. He told us some great stories about the show and Roscoe P. Coltrane (James Best) and we all got our picture taken with him before running off to catch our respective planes. Dave's got the picture to prove it, if we're lucky...

Such is the strangeness of comics shows.

4 comments:

todd said...

rich--

oh, man--my version is SOOOO wrong, so blown way out of proportion. your ONE hour turned into FIVE in my memory. weren't you guys on the plane close to four hours or something like that? and while i remember dave johnson being at the show, didn't remember that he'd come with you guys.
well, leave it to a writer, i guess, to make everything bigger.
good times, though, huh...?
todd

Unknown said...

Hey Toddles,

Actually, I'm wondering if it was more like 5 hours, it sure seemed that way while waiting, not knowing how long we were gonna sit there. Did I mention we were sitting in the very back seat of the plane, so we were walled in by all the folks that were waiting to use the can too... Good times indeed!

Matt Wieringo said...

Mike met Enos?!! He never told me. I bet I'm the only guy on the planet that can hum the theme music from the ENOS spinoff show from memory.

Unknown said...

Okay, I know you told me that you could identify any Star Trek episode from one line of dialogue, but that's just scary Matt.